Frequently Asked Questions
- Where did the idea for KnowYourMan come from?- The daughter of a friend of ours got divorced and wasn’t even aware that her husband had been married before, divorced before, and filed bankruptcy, until after several years of marriage. We thought there should be a better way for women to know about a man before they began to date him or get married.
- How do two married men know what women want to know about the men they date?- We surveyed 350 women to find out what they most wanted to know about the man they were dating. This led to over 60 categories of information they can find about a man using KnowYourMan’s search.
- What is the purpose of the website? How does it help women?- Know Your Man is designed to empower women with the tools for smart and safe online dating decisions. It’s intended to offer a simple search in one central location, rather than numerous searches for information scattered throughout the web.
- Is this a background check service?- KnowYourMan isn’t a background check. It does sophisticated advanced searches of social media sites, profiles, and other websites to give women insights into those things they really want to know about the man they’re dating or considering dating.
- Is the information accurate?- KnowYourMan is only as accurate as the information found on the web using sophisticated advanced searches. Since people can say anything on the web, true or false, KnowYourMan can’t assure that the information is accurate. However, some of this information may lead to conversation starters or questions that the woman may wish to ask.
- How does a woman know that she’s getting information on the right guy?- Since people can have similar names or even the same name, we can’t assure that the information is for the right man. However, if the right guy’s photo is displayed next to the information and/or something in the information confirms what she already knows, then the chances are greatly improved that it’s the right guy. We always recommend that the woman click-thru to the actual source of the information to see if it relates to her man
We’ve also created an “Advanced Search” feature that displays at the top of the search results page. Here a woman can enter a city, middle name, middle initial, or a keyword (like photography or Australia) to help home in on the right guy.
In all of these instances, women need to keep in mind everything they already know about their man, such as his name (with correct spelling), approximate age, where he lives, occupation, etc. to see if it is logical and consistent with the information found on KnowYourMan.
- Why not a website for men who want to know more about the women they date?- The immediate need that KnowYourMan addressed was for the safety, security, and well-being of women who are dating. While there might be a website for men in the future, our initial research showed that the men most concerned about the women they dated were wealthy men who were more concerned about protecting their assets.